Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Career as Teacher
View Single Post
Old 08-07-2021, 08:13 PM
Unregistered

Default English as a teaching subject

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
thank you for this detailed response! ☺️

work-life balance in law is absolutely terrible, i知 prepared to leave the office past midnight as a trainee. but it seems like teaching definitely has a degree of this as well. i値l keep that in mind!

i definitely will complete my legal training and try my best to stick it out, but i honestly do not think it痴 going to be feasible for me to sleep 3 hours a day till i知 thirty. and thank you for that suggestion, too! i値l apply for relief teaching during my school breaks. this is something that worries me as well, i came from an international school and did ib instead of going down the mainstream education path. i知 quite afraid this might disadvantage me, but i do think EL skills are transferable, no matter the curriculum.

thank you, again!
Hey there just saw this and yes the work is extremely fulfilling, probably more so than most legal careers where you're enriching your partners and helping clients fulfill the word of the law instead of the spirit of it!

However, I'd strongly, strongly recommend against English as a teaching subject if you have the opportunity to interview for anything else. On top of normal duties (teaching, internal and national examination invigilation, CCA, committee work, ad-hoc events), English department teachers where I am at write emcee scripts, train emcees for all school events and celebrations, proofread graduating student testimonials, do internal oral examinations, and are expected to train and groom students to participate in essay / public speaking competitions at the baseline. You may find yourself burning out way before a peer in a different department does.

Languages are generally a revolving door in my school except for those with exceptionally strong wills and are willing to accept basically 65-70 hour weeks for 40 weeks of the year, with marking taken home to do at night and on weekends, and possibly under five hours of sleep per day during examination period.