Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Paralegal Secretary
View Single Post
Old 08-07-2021, 11:08 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I am a paralegal (went up from liti seccie) for the past 15 yrs (same boss, small firm) and my pay is stuck at 4k. No bonuses no benefits. I can do almost everything except for Shipping/Admiralty. Shd I jump ship to another law firm or go govt? Just afraid that it's too late to move away now considering my age now (40).
I work for a small firm.

It is difficult to justify paying seccys more if the work isn't high level. I file all my own papers in e-lit, icms and ifams. I do my own filing. I keep my own calendar. I write my own letters and draft all my own legal docs. My seccy comes to work at 10 and leaves at 5. We keep her on to jaga the office when we're in Court, billing, answering phone calls, checking our mail box and what not. She doesn't do conveyancing.

We keep her on because she is a legacy staff who has worked for our firm for many years.

We do not keep her because we need her.

The fact is, if you work for a small firm, the kind of work that you do is low-value work....

You should try applying for jobs in the open market. That will be a real test of the value of your work. Afterall, no one can hold it against you if you wish to pursue better and more fulfilling opportunities elsewhere. I encourage you to do so. And after doing so, if your aren't getting offers at all or if you aren't getting the kind of salary you want, then it is time for a little self-reflection.