Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Lawyer Salary
Thread: Lawyer Salary
View Single Post
Old 05-07-2021, 01:28 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
In local big4 it's a relatively straightforward progress from Assoc to SA to Salaried Partner. It takes generally 3-4 PQE to make SA (depending on the firm). At this stage, as long as you hit billables and don't screw up, you're a shoo-in for promotion. It's literally a lockstep promotion pathway.

From there, the speed of your promotion is dependent on "performance". You are technically eligible to make salaried partner from around 5 PQE (but most make it around +-7 PQE). You can promote faster if you happen to be 1. exceptional either in law or in finding clients or 2. have connections to the right people like a minister or rich family. Unfortunately in SG (like in most countries), your surname needs to mean something if you want to open doors. However, generally, if you don't screw up, you can expect to be promoted around 7 PQE. This will depend on how hard your boss fights for your promotion and inclusion as a partner, so you have to find the right boss (i.e. one that likes you and isn't a timid/heck-care type).

For Salaried Partner to Equity Partner, the progression varies quite abit, but it is usually 10+ PQE at minimum (12-15 PQE seems quite common). At the SP and EP stage, the focus is on business development (i.e. how much clients you bring in), so it's really no longer about the law - that's for the grunt workers (assocs and SAs).

However, there are people who are generally stuck at certain stages (usually SP stage) either because they cannot/refuse to find clients, or they don't want the added stress. Some firms are willing to let you rot in the SP stage (why not, it's an experienced EP level partner making only SP salary), some firms might have an up-or-out culture (either you are promoted within x years or you leave). It depends on the firm.
Everything of this is well meaning advice. But I only have one comment.
SA to Salaried partner these days is not guaranteed even if you tough out 7 years etc.
A lot of firms insert the “of Counsel” role these days including the big four.
Of counsel is practically a trial before salaried partnership.