Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Lawyer Salary
Thread: Lawyer Salary
View Single Post
Old 03-07-2021, 11:58 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
The reasons should be quite obvious.

Law is a non-STEM profession and females don't like to study STEM. Aptitude or not, I'm not going to open that can of worms...

It's a pseudo-social science, which is more towards female inclinations. But it's also slightly more competitive and prestigious to enter than your run-of-the-mill arts/social science/business courses. Hence, it attracts the studious, nerdy girls from better JCs or who did better in A levels.

At the academic and junior practice level, law rewards being studious, meticulous, and putting your head down quietly and doing the work. Females excel in this because they are detail-oriented and fussy about minute things, and are very good at following pre-planned procedures and SOPs to the letter.

The more incisive question to ask is why you don't see females as top level litigators or many EPs. Aside from the obvious family burdens stereotype, at the senior level, the skillsets required for law are more towards the rainmaking size (schmoozing with clients) and seeing the big picture and problem solving in creative ways and being thick skinned (for litigation).
i felt the same way as a junior but even the partners could be quite fastidious about things. And it was disputes too.

I still wonder whether there's ever a point in lawyering if we can't be ****ed to fuss over small details, especially if they're not material to the overall strategic objective.

If this post by Alex Su (...linkedin.com/posts/alexander-su_when-i-was-in-biglaw-i-wasnt-a-very-good-activity-6816020986379456512-1IbK) is right, then it may be there's really no point in the end. Better off admitting we have a skills/traits mismatch and get out lol.