Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Lawyer Salary
Thread: Lawyer Salary
View Single Post
Old 30-06-2021, 01:59 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Not sure if troll but I'll take the bait anw lmao.

Unless you studied in Oxbridge or LSE, you have no right to feel like a "successful person" for studying law overseas. The fact that you did not study in NUS or SMU means that you are already intellectually worse than 50% of the law aspirant cohort of your batch, since these 2 schools are more competitive than other foreign law schools on the scheduled list sans Oxbridge.

As a matter of fact, your default state should be to feel like a "failure" and work your way upwards from there.
Why do posters on this forum make such asinine comments? After a few years in practice, whether you went to NUS/SMU or UK/Aus universities no longer matter as much. Employers value you based on your experience and the quality of your work.

Ironically, MC/US firms that recruit in London/SG take a liking to candidates from UK universities because a large number of partners are British, and it helps with building rapport, cultural fit and whatnot.

I was rejected by NUS and SMU law. I went to what most posters on this forum would consider a second rate degree mill UK university. I'm drawing the increased Milbank/Davis Polk salary (and Cravath scale bonuses). My target hours are less than what a Big 4 associate is expected to pull. I don't see myself as a "successful person" but I don't see myself as a "failure" either.