Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Lawyer Salary
Thread: Lawyer Salary
View Single Post
Old 30-06-2021, 10:19 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I rmb those days. The 2014 to 2016 call batches was the start of the glut.

Those were bleak times man. Many lower tier foreign grads couldn't get TCs. Luckily I studied in NUS but even then my NUS peers were pretty worried about the TC situation, even those average second uppers.

Lots of fear mongering and newspaper articles about glut of lawyers too. That's when Minlaw, being ever reactive, decided to tighten the screws and delist a bunch

Anyway, I knew quite a few lower tier foreign grad friends who didn't go on to practice or started in small/no-name firms, got disillusioned and left law. But generally they went on to do other interesting things la.

Most of them were rich or at least upper-mid class though. So being 3 to 4 months out of job while they figured out what they wanted to do wasn't really painful for them. More like an extended holiday with a safety net.

But i suppose such is life. If your family's rich, you never have to really worry.
Yes. I was also part of this batch.
It was painful.
In my study group of 5, only 2 of us are still in practice. To be honest though, the other 3 have all gone on to exciting in-house roles (big F500 or banks). Don't think we're any worse off. Also don't think we had it any "easier" as the earlier poster seems to suggest.