Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - How is life as a doctor in Singapore?
View Single Post
Old 26-06-2021, 09:41 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
As someone who has gone through NS and now in my last year of residency, I do feel like NS has given me a different perspective in life that cannot be replaced.

I don't think it should always about racing to the "finishing line" first. Rather, the journey matters too. If you work hard and don't be a trouble maker, you will get there eventually.

And before you say that I had an easy NS since I am MO, no, I actually completed NS before I got into medical school. During NS, I was basically abused by my S3. At one point in time, I had upwards of 70 extras, and my CO did nothing despite knowing of this.
Thanks for your post. May I ask which specialty you are in?
However I would reply to your post by saying there is currently a glut of residents in most specialties with a bottleneck at the end for consultant posts. As an above average resident myself I'm already resigned to the fact that I have to spend years as a SSR. Why should foreign-born doctors (since most foreigners took up PRs but did not serve NS) be given a priority in consultant posts when they didn't contribute to nation building that Singaporeans did? If the resumes of a Singapore-born and foreign doctor are the same, shouldn't MOHH give the Singapore-born doctor priority for consultant posts?