Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Engineer Pay
Thread: Engineer Pay
View Single Post
Old 22-06-2021, 06:10 PM
Verified Member

donny21 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Aiyah dont bother thinking about working in the construction industry - the progression is just too slow, businesses are squeezed coz engineers here are cost center (projects are awarded for the lowest price and consultants are squeezed in the end) and the return does not justify the risk. If something goes wrong ppl may get injured, u end up in jail and cant work for the rest of ur life in the industry..

i graduated from nus civil fch a few years back and worked in mnc consultancy for more than 3 years. Starting pay 3.5 in the first year and got an increment to 3.6 in the 2nd year. Worked my ass off and also tried bring some digital innovation to the company but still no recognition no bonus no aws. Only after i got another offer then they counter offer my salary to increase by 20% but would only increase in the next performance review which was 2 months away. Decided to stay and guess what! They even did not bother to bring up the topic for my increment during the review in the end. Sad industry.. Finally i was really fed up and decided to jump industry to tech and got 2x my previous salary..

So yea avoid this industry unless u really like it (i actl liked it but also got burnt)!!
Thanks for sharing man!!

Yeah have no plans to enter the construction industry. Previously I took a summer intern at a main contractor company just to gain more exposure, wow the people there are really under paid + overworked. Maybe that explains why there are mostly foreigners there.

Btw, how you switch over to the tech industry? I am keen in joining but my major is mech engg so I don’t know if there’s much relevance there. Would appreciate any advise. I’ll be graduating next year.

Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills
Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills

SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android

Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app