Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - How is life as a doctor in Singapore?
View Single Post
Old 14-06-2021, 09:09 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Thank you for your answer.
I asked because 30 hours seem crazy, I can't even stay awake 20 hours. And I am not the smartest out there... no awards, no nothing. How do I know I can survive medicine before entering medicine. If the school selects you, does that mean you are good enough? That you probably can make it?
I wanted to do medicine because i want to work for doctors without borders. But people tell me its too idealistic and that to do medicine it is more than wanting to help people
I should be a therapist or a psychologist instead
Hey, keep your idealism and dreams to make an impact in this world!
At the same time, do explore and read up on people who have done so through other routes.
Read through profiles of people you look up to - politicians, economists, activists, entrepreneurs, tech gurus...
There are many ways to help people.

Most doctors help people on a one on one basis most of the time, even if you are Singapore's top surgeon with multiple fellowships all over the world.
Except maybe public health doctors, researchers, healthcare admin (prolly at least a good 10-20 years later once you are more established) - this group helps a larger group / wider population at one go.
I used to think that I would enjoy the one-on-one interaction, but now looking back after 7-8 years into the profession, I might have picked something else.