Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - How is life as a doctor in Singapore?
View Single Post
Old 06-06-2021, 10:09 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Hi friends, I'm a Singaporean female who have a usyd MD and obtained my FRACGP GP qualifications last year. I was due to return to Singapore last year but as the borders were shut due to Covid 19 stayed put to work part time as a GP in Sydney. I'm wondering what sort of opportunities there are to me as a Australian qualified GP when I return to Singapore. The consensus seems to be that borders will not open till next year so I'm considering doing some post grad qualifications while I'm stuck here, such as maybe in occupational health or something else, but I'm not sure if it'll be recognised in Singapore or if it'll be financially rewarding? Any advice is warmly welcome.
Firstly, Ur fracgp doesn't get u anything more than conditional reg which means u have to work under supervision. . None of the diploma by Australia uni gives u an financial edge.
Private wise only raffles can hire u. Government wise, it's mohh or one of the polyclinic.
Thing is, polyclinic seldom hire overseas trained gp straight as u typically can't hit the floor running unlike one of the local guys who had rotate through 1 year of polyclinic settings and proven to work under pressure ( plus with knowledge of local guidelines , referrals, social system, hospital system and even knowing how to use the terrible system known as epic and Nehr). Polyclinic bosses under a lot of pressure and every hire is valuable. Few of them want to chance it on an unknown. Furthermore as u have a non local qualifications, u cannot advance to consultant and that means u more likely to leave once u hit full reg. Now why do I want to hire u with all that uncertainty?

When mohh hires u, the salary is not great la. If unwork hard in auz, u probably getting 100 ton150 an hour. Mohh Dr get 5k a month nia. And no, Ur fracgp doesn't give u more money.
Raffles might not take u too. Same reason as above, u can't hit the floor running as primary care is quite contextualised Vs say a hard core skill like surgery. Eg, a Singapore trained gp going over will not know what Medicare is, what's the big deal about aboriginal health , what's a long consult , what's a short one and gasp, u can't sell medication to your patient?!! And what's with 15 minutes consult? That's a luxury! I have 2 mins per patient in sg!

Stay in Australia la. Best bet financially.
If it's family then come back sg , reset urself with mohh and maybe move after 2 to 3 years.

This is the best and true advice u gonna get. Ignore trolls who are not even real docs.