Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Lawyer Salary
Thread: Lawyer Salary
View Single Post
Old 31-05-2021, 11:38 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I concur. Singapore is just another another polished good looking third world city in ASEAN. Despite it clean streets, polished furnishings, it is unbearable place to live in. The people there live in this “illusion of bubble” thinking it is an utopia in the world. Everything there looks like it is “working” when u look deeper, it is in fact same as the surrounding ASEAN countries.

Whatever statistics they published, the opposite reality is true on the ground. Singapore is the only country, i have seen publish so many statistics on state controlled media. The mass media is not a free entity and a government mouthpiece. There are not many jobs available and cost living is very high relative to wages. Slave wages, labor exploitation, lack of rights , authoritarian rule. Basically it is a third world place under disguise with first world looks. Getting out of Singapore with a overseas LLB and moving to a real first world country (UK) is the best choice i have ever made despite being a local born Singaporean.
So is it all doom and gloom for SG's future outlook? As a IB student with a passion for law, should I read law locally or overseas in order to hedge against the former? I should qualify for NUS or SMU but at this stage I'm leaning towards Australia's G8 unis so I could work in Australia later. A relative who's a solicitor in Perth works 8-5 weekdays only and is able to earn enough to afford his own bungalow and another as an investment property in his early thirties. He came from a lower-middle class HDB-dwelling background so I don't think parental help factored in his success.

(Please don't suggest medicine as it requires a completely different skillset to what I have and I have neither the aptitude nor interest in it. Plus my NUS med friends seem to have their own difficulties with med.)