Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Engineer Pay
Thread: Engineer Pay
View Single Post
Old 23-05-2021, 10:11 PM

jn1014 is on a distinguished road

I’m planning to switch careers to the civil engineering field and am aiming to be a professional engineer (civil). I was hoping to get some advice as I’m in a dilemma as to which organisation to join.

For context, I’m bonded to the Government and have been offered jobs in the engineering teams at LTA and JTC. Both jobs offer in-house design experience: The LTA job involves the detailed design of an MRT station while the JTC job involves the design of infrastructure (roads, sewers and drains). Both jobs also require me to review design submissions from the consultants for other non-in-house design projects.

I’m currently leaning towards JTC because (I) there are more opportunities for private sector attachments to consultancies, (II) the organisation culture is less hierarchical (based on what I’ve heard), (III) there are more in house design projects available, although the design involved is less technical compared to MRT stations.

However, I’m concerned that the design of drains, sewers and roads would not be sufficient experience for me to qualify as a Professional Engineer, which is the aim of my career switch. Hence, I was hoping to get some advice from people in the industry on this as well as your opinion on which would be a better organisation to join. Thanks in advance!

Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills
Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills

SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android

Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app