Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Career as Teacher
View Single Post
Old 23-05-2021, 10:20 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Thank you for this insightful answer! Wow, I didn't know that teachers have such a heavy load on their shoulders, makes me respect mine even more 😊 A lot of work sounds administrative in nature, definitely something I expected to come with the job, and this list you provided does sound like a challenge to juggle. Oral exams were a nightmare not just for the students, but for the teachers too, huh? 🥴

This was a great picture you painted about the multi-faceted professional life of a teacher. I definitely realise it isn't a bed of roses, and that the role of an educator comes with a set of many struggles, too.

There is one thing I am curious about, though. Does promotion to HOD or higher-level positions stem from a teacher's ability to balance many fringe projects on his/ her plate? Since engagement and quality of teaching might be hard to directly quantify, I have this doubt about how one climbs up the career ladder in education.
I just saw this.. I think a SH or HOD would be able to give you a clearer answer of what promotion to the position entails, but based on my limited understanding, you would need to have demonstrated the necessary competencies and dispositions first before appointment to the role.

SH/HOD do teach, but their role is primarily managerial. Teaching well is a baseline expectation for all teachers. For heads, you'd also have to be able to drive department AND school-level policies, projects and processes to ensure alignment of programmes and results to the school's strategic thrusts. Also you need to be good at managing those who work under you, so good interpersonal skills are vital for heads. Teaching has very little to do directly with whether you would make a good SH/HOD, although good teaching does inform good practices and processes.

But dont take my word for it.. ask an actual head

Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills
Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills

SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android

Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app