Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Breaking letter of "commitment" that came as a google form.
View Single Post
Old 20-05-2021, 10:10 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurfxactly View Post
I‘ve joined a company recently through a recruitment agent. Prior to this, I was on the assumption that I entered into a contract with only the company.

I signed the letter of appointment from the company first, as the terms were seemingly normal. The recruitment agent's "contract" came right after, in the form of a job application form. At the point of signing, I did read through the entire google form to make sure there weren't any unfair clauses before submitting it.

After joining the company, I realized that it wasn't a good fit and 24 hours notice can be given during probation. Of course, I went to the recruitment agent first. It came to me as a shock when he said that I agreed to a clause that states that I have to stay in this job for at least 3 full months, if not I would be liable to pay a penalty equivalent to one month's salary. He insisted that it was in the job application form. I asked him for a copy of the contract but he refused to give one to me. Instead, he screenshot the clauses which were supposedly to be bounded to me, as well as the date and time of my google form submission.

There were two additional clauses which states that:
1) All disputes shall be referred to the small claims tribunal for mediation.
2) Acknowledgement that the registration form can be used as a legally binding contract in Singapore.

It's been 1 month since then. I was verbally abused and hurled insults by my superior just 2 days ago. To me, it was really personal attack after personal attack. I do not wish to stay, but I don't want to pay for the penalty either.

Can anyone advise me on the next steps?

Thanks.

Regards,
Smurfxactly
Stay for the entire duration.
Take it as a lesson learnt. Start looking for a new job now.

What company are you at now?