Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Compare civil service salary
View Single Post
Old 05-10-2011, 12:50 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
haha well i do feel the dilemma of the melodramatic poster la. it's the uncertainty out there when taking the plunge and venturing out from public sector... but in his case it's a 20% pay rise, so why not yeah?

i actually do need some advice, maybe nice ppl in this forum can help me out here:

I'm planning for an eventual move out from public service to private, and I read somewhere from this forum that it's good to plan early so yup.

ok so some facts first.

23 yrs, 2+ years working experience in public service, graduated 1st class hons from overseas uni (not very fancy deg just a regular arts degree sigh)

starting salary (2009): 3.2k
end 2010: 3.7k
current: 4.2k

my performance rating last yr was c and my pb ard 2.5mths. I think i shld be on the equivalent of mx12.

questions:

when can i expect to hit ard $6k? or like will I ever, assuming my cep is like the grade before mid management?

im contemplating studying a professional degree like law. is it too late if i commence my 3yr jd or llb grad at 31 years old? Is it worth the effort and time considering what I can be earning in public service at 35 yrs old (the age I will be fully legally qualified) and also the foregone salary during the years of study?

are MNCs keen to hire cross overs from public service (say ard age 31) and is it very likely a pay cut is necessary?

keen to hear some views and sound advice thanks guys

starting salary (2009): 3.2k---->Can I know you start your job in which month in 2009?
end 2010: 3.7k---->I assume in dec2010
current: 4.2k---->as of Oct2011

-May I know which part of the public service are you referring to? Ministry or Statboard?

I assume you are a female w/o NS.

I think you should stay with the public service. Why?
-within a period of 2 years you had an increment of $1000, which is alot!!

from 2009-2010, annual increment is 500 or 15.6%
from 2010-now, annual increment is 500 or 13.5%

That is alot!!!
--------------------------------------------------------------

I work in STengineering(private sector), 4 years exp male ntu 2nd lower engineering
2007july-2900
2008july-3001(3.5% AI)
2009july-pay freeze
2010july-3418 (wage adj(+200) + annual increment(2.7% AI) + promotion(4%))
2011july-3737 (wage adj(+200) + annual increment(3.5% AI))

noted that all my performance grad is 'C'
---------------------------------------------------------------
as you can see, with 4 years exp, (3AI +2 wage adj + 1 promotion) = 4 years my total increment is mere $800+
---------------------------------------------------------------

private sector is annual increment sux all the way, worse than that in public sector.
I do known of few colleague/bosses with degree,
1 after 10 years exp getting 4.1k(inclusive 2 promotion)
1 after 18 years exp getting 6.5k(inclusive 3 promotion)

-----------------------------------------------------------------
please comment