Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Career as Teacher
View Single Post
Old 14-05-2021, 11:52 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
It's great you have a desire to teach, and that is a vital starting point for anyone considering teaching I think. But what most people looking at teaching from the other side of the school fence don't see is the enormous amount of responsibilities that come with it. On any given day, you may find yourself juggling any or all of the following tasks: discipline issues in your form class, CCA planning and execution, committee work (most teachers are in 2 committees), department duties (English teacher? Have fun planning/executing/ conducting oral exams), ad-hoc projects, setting and vetting of exam papers, marking marking marking marking marking, professional learning team projects (every department has one of these).. and other administrative duties.

And if you thought that was all, remember, you still need to plan and run highly engaging lessons for multiple classes on a daily basis for your students.. while paying attention to individual student needs and wellbeing

It is doable, but it won't be easy at all. But very rewarding work though.
Thank you for this insightful answer! Wow, I didn't know that teachers have such a heavy load on their shoulders, makes me respect mine even more 😊 A lot of work sounds administrative in nature, definitely something I expected to come with the job, and this list you provided does sound like a challenge to juggle. Oral exams were a nightmare not just for the students, but for the teachers too, huh? 🥴

This was a great picture you painted about the multi-faceted professional life of a teacher. I definitely realise it isn't a bed of roses, and that the role of an educator comes with a set of many struggles, too.

There is one thing I am curious about, though. Does promotion to HOD or higher-level positions stem from a teacher's ability to balance many fringe projects on his/ her plate? Since engagement and quality of teaching might be hard to directly quantify, I have this doubt about how one climbs up the career ladder in education.