Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Career as Teacher
View Single Post
Old 14-05-2021, 11:35 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Yes the language skills are transferable. What could be challenging is build strong teacher-student relationships and understanding the background of students dissimilar to the teacher. While you should be getting more sleep as a teacher, remember that working hours start earlier but don't necessarily end earlier. On CCA days, not unimaginable for a teacher to be in school for 12 hours (6am-6pm) with just a few breaks in between to catch a breather. To be honest, time-for-money wise, the lawyer route probably makes more sense given that you're already halfway there.
I completely understand where you're coming from, it takes a certain level of empathy and putting oneself in the students' shoes to effectively guide them. I do think that the relief teaching scheme might be a good way for me to get a feel of how things are run in MOE schools; will definitely try that out once COVID lets up.

12-hour days do sound much better than whatever law has going for it, but it is a good consideration I'll keep in mind. The time-for-money clock starts ticking maybe three years into legal practice, but the legal market is so terrifyingly bad and the competition is extremely stiff, and I honestly see myself being eliminated too soon in the game, especially when my head/ passion is not entirely in it. Thank you again for all the pointers! Really helped me look at this alternative career path in a panoramic way.