Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - SIM-UOL fresh grad starting pay
View Single Post
Old 03-10-2011, 11:14 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by poorman View Post
Here's a few tips to all those currently taking UOL courses especially in Finance related courses.

During your semester breaks. PLEASE GO FIND internships to take. Don't treat the 3-mth break as a holiday period. We are already losing out to local uni holders in terms of qualifications, the least you can do is find some work to put you on par.

If possible approach MNC / Banks as they are quite happy to take on internships from UOL students as their requirements are not so strict for interns.

I can guarantee you that unless you are a 1st class honours of UOL, without any prior work experience you will lose out to all the other local uni grads jostling for the same position that you are applying for.

For me my greatest regret was not starting from year 1, it was only in my 2nd year did i apply and worked for a bank as an intern and that definitely helped me to secure a few job offers.
Taking internship helps, but not much. Almost every undergrad from good uni is doing now, so not much value add. I think the more basic problem is people who study UOL are generally below average academically, but somehow many seem to expect that suddenly after uni they will be working at the world’s top banks. It’s more about too high expectation that lead to disappointment.

No offense to UOL grads, just stating the fact from a similar level RMIT grad here.