Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Career as Teacher
View Single Post
Old 11-05-2021, 10:50 PM
Unregistered

For a more accurate idea, it'll probably be best to seek the opinion of someone who's got experience both with a legal career as well as in teaching. Not sure how many of those visit these forums…

That said, I do think work-life balance in teaching is not that great, especially if you're looking to teach EL/GP - though I guess it depends on how much you are able to detach from work as well. That said, from what I know, work-life balance in many legal jobs isn't great either (from what I've heard, probably worse than teaching).

Don't have personal recent experience with the interview process either, but from various accounts on this forum, it seems pretty selective. There is indeed an over-supply of teachers at the moment, though EL teachers are still pretty in demand.

Most practical path is to complete your legal training so as to maximise your options; but if you have the capacity to juggle it, you could consider registering as a SRE (relief teaching scheme) and stepping into schools to get a better idea of what the job entails. Given that your educational background (just guessing), you might not have that much exposure to the more typical student profile that you're more likely to encounter, given that the majority of vacancies would be in mainstream primary/secondary schools… basically, would suggest you 'try before you buy'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
hello, everyone! just asking for some career advice.

i am currently a local law undergraduate who has secured a training contract and will be called to bar if i pass my part b bar exam safely. i will probably be getting a second upper. however, i feel like law is not my calling.

i’ve gone through several teaching experiences in my school life, giving tuition, teaching school kids about the law, and teaching underprivileged kids in developing countries on charity trips. i enjoy teaching and wish to enter moe to teach english/GP.

is there any advice to a newbie making a career switch like this into teaching? how does the career compare to law? i hope to achieve a bit more work-life balance and stability in teaching. how were the interviews and pgde in general, in terms of intensity and difficulty? also, is there a glut of teachers right now, much like in law?

thank you in advance!