Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - ST Electronics
Thread: ST Electronics
View Single Post
Old 05-05-2021, 12:51 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I'm the MNC PJM.
Maybe taking a PMP will help you understand why the role of the PJM is critical.
Project charter, capex, budgetary concerns, gate clearance, buying off by various functions, alignment of expectations between customers and my team, meeting deadlines, mitigate disputes.

PJM needs to know basics of the products and services offered even though the execution is carried out by subject matter experts who have years of experience doing that. And you need to align these people to the requirements of other team members.

For example our product development creates a DFMEA for automotive customers. They create under the American AIAG methods but customer expectations are German new VDA standards which is a whole lot more complicated. I am not trained in any of these. So I had to arrange for the budget to train the team or if schedule allows, arrange for my team to join pre arranged training by corporate. Make sure the certificate is available for customer scrutiny. And do all these on time according to Gantt chart agreed with customer without blowing the budget provided by Management.

Another example, telecommunications customer who requested the DFM to be completed with their AVL that's a direct competitor to one of our division. I need to escalate this to corporate and legal to prepare for mitigation regarding patent issues, link up with the design engineers and BD and procurement to create a information matrix on what could be shared and what not so as to avoid a future patent dispute.

Another example, medical customer sent their auditor to audit our contamination control as a requirement under the ISO13485 standards. I need to work with the quality team , operations, engineering etc. to handle the audit even though it will be led by the subject matter experts, I need to stand by facts and figures as some of my projects fell under their purchasing.

I don't know what sort of PJM you deal with but I think you need to really open up.
Sorry to burst your bubble.
I can summarise all your example simply as.

"got problem, I find people who can solve the problem to solve the problem"

So basically you're just a delegator.
How to test this theory?

I can run a social experiment. I prepare a handbook and give it to a student.
I ask the student to just run the steps and role play according to the book.

So chapter 1 will be like "hold kick off meeting"
Step 1: send email to participants.
Step 2: prepare slides.
Step 3: book meeting room.

Etc. I bet as long as I have that guide and book. Everyone. Anybody. Also can do your job.

Likewise if I repeat this experiment with a guide to operate on a brain.
And the student can't or don't dare to cut into a patient and operate. That is skills.

Yours..
Anybody also can do la. Doesn't justify high pay just to escalate and delegate work lol.

Give me an example of how you manage a project without some form of delegation or escalation.
None right.
Cause there you have it.
Project managers are just people who delegate work.
Can be replaced by AI who does the thinking.

In the future, machine can take over liao.
Machine can predict chess move and make best move after learning past games.
They can learn decision making to manage project.

You are replaceable.