Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - how much money is needed to live comfortably in singapore?
View Single Post
Old 28-09-2011, 02:33 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postdoc_genetics View Post
Dear Singaporeans,

I have a question regarding salary to add to the thread, any responses will be much appreciated.

I am a single father with a 4-year old boy. There is a high potential I will be offered a postdoc position at the National University of Singapore (NUS).

If possible, I would like to live close to NUS so that I can minimize transit time to and from campus. Hence, I will utilize the transit system, I will not use a car.

Fees:
From my investigation of daycare fees close to NUS, prices range from $500 to $600 per month. Hence, per year prices will range from $6,000 to $7,200.

As for a modest rent for a single father and child living close to NUS, I am not sure. Can anyone make a suggestion as to the fees of housing accommodations close to NUS (nothing fancy, but something decent).

Therefore,

Salary = $7,200 + rent (apartments close to NUS) + utilities + food + transit + leisure

If anyone can add approximate values to the terms, or add additional terms so that I may estimate a salary that will accommodate my son and I, would be much appreciated.

Thank you in advance.
Your postdoc allowance should be sufficient. If you need extra income, there are various ways, eg give private tuition (hot industry in Singapore), work as teaching assistant, or do homework for lazy students hahha.