Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - how much money is needed to live comfortably in singapore?
View Single Post
Old 27-09-2011, 11:21 PM
Postdoc_genetics

Default Single father of 4-year old boy

Dear Singaporeans,

I have a question regarding salary to add to the thread, any responses will be much appreciated.

I am a single father with a 4-year old boy. There is a high potential I will be offered a postdoc position at the National University of Singapore (NUS).

If possible, I would like to live close to NUS so that I can minimize transit time to and from campus. Hence, I will utilize the transit system, I will not use a car.

Fees:
From my investigation of daycare fees close to NUS, prices range from $500 to $600 per month. Hence, per year prices will range from $6,000 to $7,200.

As for a modest rent for a single father and child living close to NUS, I am not sure. Can anyone make a suggestion as to the fees of housing accommodations close to NUS (nothing fancy, but something decent).

Therefore,

Salary = $7,200 + rent (apartments close to NUS) + utilities + food + transit + leisure

If anyone can add approximate values to the terms, or add additional terms so that I may estimate a salary that will accommodate my son and I, would be much appreciated.

Thank you in advance.