Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - ST Electronics
Thread: ST Electronics
View Single Post
Old 22-04-2021, 04:19 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Like you, when I left STE I had an increment that will take years in STE to match from yearly increments. I left when I feel that my learning experiences had plateaued. One issue I see with STE is that the learning experiences are very niche. Years after I joined, I am still doing the same thing in general, with variations here and there. Then again, "niche" is a word that you cannot apply because they hardly have any real subject matter experts to consult.

When I joined the new company, although it's still a multitasking role, there are much more things to learn about, like handle projects, maintain systems, perform trials for R&D products, join project tenders, etc. These are experiences that cannot be learnt in a single engineer role in STE. You need to be a PM, engineer, marketing, etc. to experience all these.

Many of those I know who left STE joined the private sector for only a short while before going back to STE or joined public service. Coincidentally, all these people excel in their studies.
Niche is a nice way of putting it.
When I left STE to the SME, I could not get used to the multi tasking and pace. But slowly got used to it. When I moved to my current MNC, I could not get used to a systematic and structured management, their demand in knowledge and experience, the exposure and corporate code of conduct are all culture shock to me. The culture is very different from STE but more suitable for me. I get global exposure and learn a lot of things. But I known people from ST being unable to adjust themselves to the pace and performance driven culture in the private sector so they returned back to STK, M or E. If you CMI in the private sector, then acknowledge it and go back to ST. Really up to the individual No right or wrong.