Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Dillema: University of Melbourne vs SIM UOL
View Single Post
Old 20-04-2021, 12:21 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Have relatives who are Australians. University of Melbourne is a good uni in Australia. A bit like our local uni, NUS or NTU. At least to their locals.

But they graduated many years ago. Not sure about its status now. Last I heard, Australian unis flooded with foreign students. Standards perhaps not as high as a decade ago.

I don't think all Australian degrees are inferior. Really depends on where you go and what courses you take. Many of my friends with Australian degrees in psychology and biz are doing well.
Melbourne University is obviously a good university in Australia, considering it is the highest ranking with the highest local entry standards.

The issue is that they severely deflate those standards for international students, which are use as cash cows. Hence the perception of MelbU as of inferior quality outside of Australia.

The question OP should be asking himself is not whether a degree from Melbourne is superior to a degree from a private university. All things equal, that is surely the case.

The crux of the issue lies with whether the ROI will be worth it. 120-150k vs 30k is significant. Will going to Melb earn you back that 100k you spent? If you are rich, then go, but if money is a consideration, it may not be worth it.