Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Lawyer Salary
Thread: Lawyer Salary
View Single Post
Old 12-04-2021, 02:45 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Tired trainee here. I realised 2 years into law school that I had made a huge mistake and resolved to go in-house as soon as possible. My plan is to grind out a few years of PQE before I try to leave practice.

Right now I’ve been retained at a mid-sized firm doing general corp but I’m contemplating applying out to more specialized practices. What areas of law should I be focusing on if I want to be an attractive hire for in-house positions down the road?
Depends on the type of in house role you are looking at. Most MNCs / SMEs will want someone who is like a jack of all trades. M&A is usually one of the skill sets they look out for.

If you are interested in tech then go look at Fintech and if you prefer the FIs, regulatory experience will be good.

Just be aware that most in house roles require you to go beyond simply being a lawyer and you will be asked to do non-legal work. They prefer commercially minded people and you have to know when to push back against management.

For those coming from litigation background, you should jump to in house ASAP. Litigation exp is not commonly sought after. There are some roles, but these are hard to come by and it's usually easier to jump in when you are more junior.