Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - MAS for Mid Career Professionals
View Single Post
Old 08-04-2021, 08:00 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
The first thing would be salary. If you join as a fresh grad, you will start off on the MAS payscale and progress along the way. If you join as a mid-career, HR will naturally have to try to match or give a suitable increment for you to join (same with any other job tbh).

If you talk about non-work specific learning, MAS is a great place. There is a lot of emphasis on learning and you can even join various modules (with officers from other departments) and aim towards completing the MAS diploma.

If you talk about work-specific learning, then this is obviously dependent on which department you are in. As a mid-career, you were hired because you have some relevant knowledge and experience. However, you obviously have to learn the parts of the job that you are not so informed about. As a fresh grad, you have no experience, thus you have to learn job from scratch.

I cannot understand the point of your question (to quote a certain minister). What exactly are you trying to ask?
To be specific, I imagine there would be a long waiting list for certain learning opportunities (e.g. post-graduate studies, secondments to external organisations, internal mobility).

Just curious about whether joining as a mid-career professional puts one in a lower standing for such opportunities, as compared to someone who joined as a fresh grad (e.g. graduate officer scheme). Naturally, in this comparison we would assume similar work performance, as that would more likely than not be the most crucial factor.

To provide even more context - I allude to an earlier post (pg. 13), which might be a bit alarming for mid-careers:
"As with government service, the prospects of everyone differs and is generally as such:

1) Top Tier - MAS / Presidents' Scholar (who transfer from other ministries)
2) Second Tier - First Class Honors Fresh Grad who join MAS direct from School
3) Third Tier - Other Second Class Honors Fresh Grad who join MAS direct from School
4) Bottom Tier - Mid Careers

The tiers shown above generally shows a person's "potential" which have a direct relationship to your promotion, opportunities, bonus and pay. The difference between the bonus between the top tier and the bottom tier can be significant - i.e. at least 2.5 months difference."