Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Should I pick up programming? Why and why not?
View Single Post
Old 02-04-2021, 09:28 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
My experience tells me burn out happen when the project is in death march or 1 year when bonus is given out, whichever earlier.

And when the god like fresh grad who thinks programming is all brains.
And fail to realise that there is a human factor to it, a time factor, a team factor, a technical debt factor, and money factor....

And burn out also happen when they realised even if company double their pay, they can't produce twice the amount of work even if they want to.

Nothing comes out of their brain.
Mental block. A wall.
You are coming from old school, hence wont be surprise to see backward mentality like this. First of all, you need to have clear definition of what is output. Output is not about the amount of code, but it is the impact.

In Singapore itself, you can see the example of how great products can generate much more output than lousy one. Take the example of trading app, there are plenty homegrown trading app out there like phillips, ocbc securities, utrade etc, they have great support in Singapore but not many is using it. If Robinhood is coming to Singapore, I bet many would opt to use Robinhood even they dont have big office here. Tiger and Interactive Broker is actually much larger than local trading platform because they have much better product.

This is how technology works. Winners take most of the pie (80% to 95%). Another example is alipay. 80% of the China transaction is coming to alipay. If there is no intervention from government, they are bound to be the largest bank in the world.

Government is giving licences to operate digital banks last year. I wouldnt be surprise if some of the traditional banks are getting replaced (UOB might be a good target). You will see in the next 10 years. Things will be obvious once it becomes reality.