Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Lawyer Salary
Thread: Lawyer Salary
View Single Post
Old 31-03-2021, 02:11 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I'm still in law school but I've spoken to a few senior lawyers in B4 (over networking sessions) and they have all said that learning to code is not actually necessary for being a tech lawyer. Can someone give concrete examples of how learning programming would help in giving legal advice ?
I've attended a webinar, in which a well-regarded lawyer uttered these wise words, "Lawyers should not just know the law, but also the subject matter which they are representing."

The senior lawyers you have talked to aren't wrong, you just need to know the law. But in this competitive landscape, you need to know more than just the law to gain the edge over other lawyers.

If I am a tech startup founder and seeking legal advice, he will prefer to follow a lawyer who knows about Python and the law, rather than a lawyer who simply knows the law. That's because it inspires confidence. Clients want to see lawyers who know much, or at least pretend to know much. They don't want to see unconfident lawyers who only know the law but know nuts about the subject matter. Obviously, you don't have to learn coding till you are hardcore, but intermediate knowledge will help.

It is no coincidence that the better construction litigation lawyers are those with some engineering background.