Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Engineering and Technology Careers are Not Valued - Singapore is "High Cost Low Tech"
View Single Post
Old 02-06-2008, 11:20 PM
Shuen Pei---

Default 1831

Dear Dawning,
Finance is the fundamental of modern economy. It forms the basis of all disciplines, and therefore, it's everlasting. Technology, on the contrary are bubles.

Ages ago, chemistry was the in thing (remember frankenstein drinking bubling green chemical cartoons), when everyone thought chemistry was cool - Ka-BOOM!!

Then, there was civil engineering. Architect was a big deal, Pua Chu Kang was an admirable figurine profession. Same time, semiconductor boomed, where silicon valley (even women thought they can use some silicon.. emm) was bustling that it burst in late 90s' along with all the IT that supports it, and asia financial crisis followed. Financial crisis was trailed by almost the same time as property price clashed.

So dear, nothing lasts. Finance may seem glamorous, now that it has been on the joy ride last 3.5yrs. But, you are right, one thing for sure though, financial sector makes milionaires in the shortest time. That, technology (even IT) can't come near.

In other words, you can achieve financial freedom soonest if you were in finance (during the boom time that is). Don't tell me hedge against the bad time and derivatives (how many retail investors know what are call and put?). Technology, on the other hand gives you the steady ride and cushions crashes and financial turmoils better.

So, here's my word of wisdom (i think). If one is confident of timing the market, join finance/banking, toil your souls nite and day for 3-5 years, hopefully attained the infamous 'financial freedom' and get out! If one doesn't have a clue what's animals like bulls and bears gotta do with financial market, mold your heads in a square box, join engineering.

phew..