Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - How is life as a doctor in Singapore?
View Single Post
Old 13-03-2021, 02:09 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
This oft quoted example of patient wanting abx for flu and cold a bit cliché lei.
Only the china patient wants those reduce inflammation meds now a days. Everyone understand when I say abx kill bacteria, u have a virus, abx doesn't kill it. Only the ah tiong still go 消炎药 and when u ask them to translate or show pic..it turn out to be some penicillin. Got time I try to educate them, [b]dun have time I take the chance they will complain[b] and don't give them.
Come on la, private world , they give abx to earn money, really patient request meh. Hardly any during my locum and private gp stint. Sometimes they even say dun give me abx hor, last time the augmentin u give me cost 40 dollars.
Practice ebm is not about forcing the patient to do what u like. A lot of it is understanding their perspective. The ah ma who forever believe her cough is due to heatiness of cos don't like it when u tell her her belief is wrong. Same like Christians who hear Jesus talking to them..medically they have hallucinations lei. U go tell them that lor, see get complain or not for not respecting religious views.
Emb is about u as a doctor understanding the basis for Ur medical decision and advice and tailor it to the patient needs. If got chance, educate and explain instead of expecting the patient to 100 percent follow u blindly.
If u lend a ear and patient trust u, they will follow what u say.
Your standard as a doctor is lacking la. That's the problem. An inadequately trained fp adpots attitude like yours.

"dun have time I take the chance they will complain"

Ok you win lah. BTW how much you get paid for your excellent EBM ICE consult?

Wonder if your pte clinic can survive pay rent and staff purely on consult fees?

Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills
Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills

SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android

Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app