Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Hospital (Private or Public) Designation and Salary Range
View Single Post
Old 11-03-2021, 05:01 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Appreciate your kind words, as much as I love to make a difference in patient's life through rehabilitative interventions. Money is not the most important thing in life but I do hope to earn enough to provide my loved ones with a comfortable life. I heard the salary progression is really bad, as well as the workload. Hence the high turnover rate of healthcare professionals going into private.
I presume your are a scholar since you are bonded, in this case, you don't have to worry too much about your career progression as scholars are given more opportunities/portfolio to shine, promotion should also be faster.

In any case, only join the healthcare industry if you have the passion. Pay wise, it is nothing fantastic, our annual package is only about 15 to 16 months for average performers (including AWS/PB etc). You will earn enough to get by, and it is a iron rice bowl.

My only hope is that the government will give us due recognition (not the clapping kind please), appreciate the pay raise coming this year but it is way overdue. Also, the salary gap between non-medical and medical staff is too wide. The last time AHP (allied health professionals) had a pay revision was in 2016. I started off at $3750 (got below market rate though I have a Masters), and 5 years later, my pay has only gone up by a $1000, and that is after a pay revision in 2016, plus 2 years A performance. The pay increment is way too little, even the recent one announced is only 3% to 7%, our yearly increment is already at 3+% too. That being said, it doesn't mean that private sector is definitely better, perhaps better work-life balance? Though they may not get the pay increment revision that public healthcare sector receives.

And don't get me started on why the turnover rate in public healthcare is so high..
- Crazy amount of workload, on top of your clinical work, seeing patient etc, you have to do admin stuff, quality improvement etc, no time to do during office hours cos you need to see patients, so the only time to do is after working hours, cannot bring work home to do cos you need to access the hospital systems.
- Roster planning/shift work, hard to take long leave or ad hoc leave, need to plan leave one year in advance. If your department is facing shortage of staff, be prepared to work more days to cover the manpower shortage.
- Have to deal with difficult patients.
- Management, bosses etc.
- Mistakes are not tolerable as any mistakes make could potentially be a life and death matter. Imagine the mental pressure HCW faces every day at work..