Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Lawyer Salary
Thread: Lawyer Salary
View Single Post
Old 04-03-2021, 11:59 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I will be doing my TC at a small firm in SG next year. The thing is, I am living on my own in SG and renting my own place (family went back to Malaysia), which is not cheap. I have emergency funds but it's not a lot. I'm trying to plan my finances so I don't run out of money, since expenses > income during the TC period.

Can someone give me a rough idea of how long the TC+call break period lasts? TC is for six months and then there's a month-long call break? How come some people on Linkedin appear to have a TC period that is longer than six months? Is it safe to say that the maximum is say 7 months for TC and 6 weeks for call break (to account for unexpected situations), after which, even if I am only a Legal Exec, my pay will be at least 2k plus a month? Of course this assumes I am retained. If I am not retained, will have to find another Assoc position elsewhere.

How hard would it be to work a part-time job on weekends during my TC, or should i not consider this at all unless I am really hard-pressed for money? Would working on weekends be too tiring?
I’m actually in your situation right now, and I’d say the answer depends on how xiong your small firm is. I’m TC-ing at a mid-sized firm with OK hours, rarely leave later than 8pm, and I tutor on the weekends. It sucks a bit that I don’t have a single day to myself but what to do 🙃

(If you can, I highly recommend tutoring, especially JC kids. 6 hours of work a week earns me the same amount as 2/3 of my TC salary. Lol.)