Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - OCBC Graduate Talent Programme 2019 (Previously Young Banker)
View Single Post
Old 05-02-2021, 10:07 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Matter of time before ops in local banks evolve and match that of BBs/International Banks imo.

At the end of the day, a job is just a job. Middle mgmt / senior mgmt in local bank ops will still allow you to lead a pretty comfortable life.
"Matter of time before ops in local banks evolve and match that of BBs/International Banks imo." - I do not doubt that. But do you think when that time comes the BBs and international banks would still be where they are today? Nope, while local banks are playing catchup, these banks are moving forward relentlessly. By the time the local banks get to where these banks are today, they would have moved on already. In any case, the important point here is not so much about local banks evolving and matching international banks than it is about the long-term damage a career in OCBC/UOB/DBS BO will do to a fresh grad's prospects in the job market. The boomers can afford to not care, because they already made their money during the golden days of SG banking (when even bonuses in the local banks were generous) and they don't have much runway left. You, on the other hand, are a fresh grad with a long runway, student loan and working in a knowledge-based economy (where, unlike the economy of the boomer generation, skills trump hard work).

"At the end of the day, a job is just a job." - Indeed. It is what you do for more than half your waking time 5 days a week, potentially more. If you want to spend this time dealing with old tech and processing payments, that's your choice, and I respect that. However, it's not my choice and I won't be able to respect myself for staying in such a job.