Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - OCBC Graduate Talent Programme 2019 (Previously Young Banker)
View Single Post
Old 05-02-2021, 01:33 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
No one is saying that ops will go away, and what you mentioned definitely warrants merit in the bulge bracket and international banks. But Ops in local banks where middle management is staffed with 'boomers' (for a lack of a better word) that are resistant to change and unlikely to adopt these new technologies?

The issue does not lie with the role but the underlying culture of local banks and the risk adverse nature of their middle management staff. Joining local bank BO as a fresh grad wanting to make a change, it's just career suicide and 10 years down the road you'll end up stuck and being one of them too. Turnover at the entry level is very high (why do you think ocbc can afford to hire so many new grads for GTP every year?) And joining this program you'll end up wasting 2 years of valuable time. Trust me the first 5 years of your career heavily defines the direction of the rest of your working life.

Of course if you wanna spend your entire working career doing mundane ops work using old tech, by all means this is a good place to retire in.

Sorry for the long post but I just wanna give my two cents. Feel free to disagree
Matter of time before ops in local banks evolve and match that of BBs/International Banks imo.

At the end of the day, a job is just a job. Middle mgmt / senior mgmt in local bank ops will still allow you to lead a pretty comfortable life.