Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Engineering and Technology Careers are Not Valued - Singapore is "High Cost Low Tech"
View Single Post
Old 25-05-2008, 10:31 PM
Nicholas---

Default 1756

Just want to cite a good friend of mine as an example. He works in a reputable investment bank and earns thrice of my annual income. Like myself, he has also jus graduated and has only been working for 1 year. However, wef next month, he ll be switching job to a non investment banker one. Even though the pay cut will be significant, he has no regrets considering the exchange for freedom and a less stressful lifestyle. Like I said before, other than the monetary compensation, one has to weigh in other factors when considering his/her career. If you have the ability and the aptitude to go for the super high paying jobs, good for you. Otherwise, it's not too bad to be an engineer. Yes. You probably won't get paid as well as an investment banker. But you won't be too miserly paid too. The worst thought to have is to naively think that just by joining the banking industry, any tom, dick and harry can make tons of money. If most of the students have this kind of thinking, I say good luck to them.