Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Engineering and Technology Careers are Not Valued - Singapore is "High Cost Low Tech"
View Single Post
Old 25-05-2008, 09:40 PM
al---

Default 1754

I for one, agree that engineers, for all their expertise, are underpaid. But then again, its the same old demand supply theory again. Not everyone in banks are paid so highly. Join the ops department and you'll get a monthly paycheck just over 3k, similar to what an average engineer earns in an MNC.

Remember the report on the highest earners in Singapore and their academic background? The fact is that most of them possess an engineering degree. And the next fact? They are mostly working in banks as well. So am I contradicting myself? Probably. But my point was demand and supply.

Engineers and finance graduates are highly sought after in banks and the limited number of places in front office positions mean that only a selected few get the golden paychecks. Thus the question is: should engineers get similar pays in their respective industries then?

I'm not sure if it's up to us to say. Everyone wants big money in their respective careers. And the reason why banks are paying such big bucks is because they are the primary tool of financing the economy. Without them, companies would have difficulties in hedging against risks, taking loans for expansions or evaluating their shareholders' value.

You can say that engineers create innovations of efficiency, govt bodies manage inflow and outflow of foreign investments and scientists and doctors improve and save lives. But which industry should earn the most? Who actually have an answer to this? I know I don't.

Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills
Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills

SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android

Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app