Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - How do promotions work in gahment sector?
View Single Post
Old 04-08-2011, 08:38 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by miwashi View Post
Yeah, I made the decision to step out on my 2nd day of the job, 5 years ago, when I was walking around a playground picking up litter. I come from a background in epidemiology and healthcare, so the job was nothing like what I had expected. I still gave them quality work all the way, but it just got messed up by higher levels all the way, so I can imagine my immediate bosses know I can produce quality work, but are too timid to fight for me, while my higher level bosses think I produce rubbish work because of all the stuff that happens between the time I produce output and the time it reaches them.

What I'm saying is, I can create a report, then my immediate boss, who has no leadership skill (ie he's the type who'll just keep quiet and change topics when I bring up urgent and serious issues that need him to make a decision), will mung up the report, introducing spelling, grammar and factual errors, and then submit it to the biggest boss, telling him that I did the work.

This kind of thing definitely does not make you look good, let alone suitable for a promotion. I guess an important component of getting a promotion is having a competent boss too; if your boss is himself seen as incompetent by other bosses, why should his subordinate look better than him?

I'm trying to make the best of my days now by working on my MSc.. in a totally different field, self-funded as the organization is not supportive of further education in another industry, of course. As soon as I get that job offer I'm out of here right away. There is no future in the grasscutting industry for anyone at all, let alone an ex-public health practitioner.
ex-public health practitioner? You used to work for MOH?