Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - share your instant death at interview stories
View Single Post
Old 04-08-2011, 03:19 PM

miwashi is on a distinguished road

I once went for an interview for the wrong position, though I believe it was not my fault. It was a new media executive position.

Their HR guy called me, confirmed that I applied for a job there, and asked me to come for an interview.

On that day I appeared, and the hr guy gave me some papers and asked me to read them. They were job descriptions - admin manager, corp communications executive, development executive, general education officer. No new media executive but I thought it was just a renamed corp comms executive position.

So I went into the interview room, did the usual background exposition, talked about my skills, and then I went "... and because of that I think I have the correct background for this new media executive position."

Immediately the interviewers looked shocked, and kept telling me the new media executive position was filled already.

So what was I being interviewed for?

The interview ended about 3 minutes after that. I tried to recover gracefully, and said that I would love to be considered for the corp comms position as it was similar, but they weren't interested in talking further.

Apparently, the HR drone was supposed to tell me to choose a job I was interested in from the papers, while I was waiting for the interview. And that the new media exec position I applied for was already closed. None of this was brought up to me.. All the way I thought I was going to be interviewed for the position I applied for.

In record time, 2 days after the interview, I got a rejection letter in my post box.

It gave me a very bad impression of this organization and how they worked.

Last edited by miwashi; 04-08-2011 at 03:22 PM.