Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - ST Electronics
Thread: ST Electronics
View Single Post
Old 24-11-2020, 09:51 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Let's look from this angle, the average starting salary for CS grads is 5k.
The companies have a few options.
1. Believe they can get better value from experienced hire with the 5k salary, won't hire any fresh grads.
2. Always need a pipeline of decent fresh grads, willing to pay the market rates for these fresh grads.
3. Always need a pipeline of decent fresh grads, but unwilling to pay the market rates. Put up a lower package and hope for surplus of fresh grads.
4. Always need a pipeline of fresh grads of any standard, unwilling to pay the market rates. Pay the bare minimum just maintain the pipeline.

Be glad ST is going with #2. The worse it can do is #4, which it can pretty much cement its poor reputation in the labour market.

Seriously, in this market now, if you're a senior engineer who is still stuck with 5k salary, you can only blame yourself.
Sadly... ST is doing #2 and #4 wrongly as my side...

I have seen quite a few of them leaving the organization within 1 year where they belong to group #2 but being paid with salary of #4.
Of course not to mention... There's also people on the other way round too where they are highly paid but couldn't produce decent output...
End of the day... still back to the point of HR being inexperienced in looking at portfolio which the priorize local degree grades rather than looking into details such as skillsets and traits.
(E.g an aerospace grad being paid around 20%-30% higher than a comp science private uni fresh grad in a programming related role. Ended up the most job was being given to the comp science graduate and he quitted eventually knowing that his peer salary when doing minimal tasks.)

I dont care how much fresh grad are being paid but what matters most is that we have capable entering the organization to share the burden of the overloaded tasks given to limited pool of technical inclined personnel we have in the organization.