Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - How is life as a doctor in Singapore?
View Single Post
Old 15-11-2020, 09:05 PM
Unregistered

Default How to become a clinician-scientist in SG?

Hi, I am an undergraduate medical student from Indonesia. I am aspired to move to SG at some point in the future. Given that SG is the Southeast Asian's medical research hub, I believe I will be able to thrive better there. Furthermore, my clinical and research interest is still relatively rare in Indonesia (I'm interested in medical oncology, to be precise, immunotherapy), and considering that Indonesia's research environment is still not friendly, I don't think my ambitions will be accommodated well here. I have a strong CV along with multiple international publications, research experience, and invited speaker positions at research training seminars. However, it seems bleak knowing that my medical qualification will not be recognized by the SMC.

Upon reading several threads in this forum, I concluded that PLAB/UKMLA may be the most plausible and cost-effective way. I still have about 3-4 years to prepare for them, hence I think if I start preparing now, my path may become easier in the future. I'm thinking of taking PLAB1, PLAB2, and non-training position simultaneously while studying for my MSc program, so I get two birds with one stone once I begin the IMT position. Nonetheless, I've also read that the competition for IMT training position in the UK is also short on the supply side, and most of them who made it to the UK system never came back to SG. Hence, I'm wondering if:

1. Is there any other way (preferably faster way) for me to become a clinician-scientist in SG? Perhaps, is it possible to get scouted there?

2. How does the competitiveness of SG's medical oncology residency program fare among other popular programs?

3. Are there any tips for me to prepare to enter the SG's health system as a prospective clinician-scientist?

#n.b.: I'm also thinking of serving my elective year at NUH, I hope this whole COVID-19 thing will be finished at that time so my posting will not be cancelled.