Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Lawyer Salary
Thread: Lawyer Salary
View Single Post
Old 03-11-2020, 03:02 PM
Unregistered

Just read through most of the posts here. To share some insights, it does not matter what kind of law you practise, as long as you have your own book. The book determines whether you become a partner or stuck at senior associate. Many times I have seen brilliant minds being stuck at SA for so long, because they do not network to know more people and build a loyal following of clients.

I knew of a SA who used to work as an assoc in a big 4 for years but is still stuck at SA in a smaller firm because she has no book to speak off. She is just an efficient grunt who can labour for the firm but does not bring additional businesses. A community law practitioner can amass a thick book, set up own firm after years of practice, earn a substantial amount per month and still enjoy work-life balance. And small firms like these incur lesser overheads. I know a few who don't even have secretaries, so their take-home pay is comparable to big firm partners.

Unfortunately, Singaporeans have no lack of IQ but lack EQ, which is needed to build your book.