Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Career as Teacher
View Single Post
Old 03-11-2020, 06:44 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Because it happens. But the pre-requisite is that the school must trust the geo3 officer enough to stretch their deployment a bit.

First and foremost, the school should not be left worrying about their T&L. Not 100% perfect, but already of a high standard and able to independently reflect and constantly seek self-improvement.

Then they must show ability to handle more things on their plate. Some schools test their promising geo3s by deploying them similarly to a geo4 or 5. This means double committees (including potentially 2ic of one), higher profile committees like student leadership, discipline, exams, etc., key roles in functional comms, CCA head, special programmes coordinators, sending them for cluster/zone/national sharing or to join NLCs.

And we all know that to be promoted, you must show potential to work effectively at the higher level.

In order to get the school to 'overload' a geo3, the school must trust that the young officer has his/her basics down. The basics must come automatically and with less effort compared to a BT. If they are still shaky during lesson obs, resources messy, cannot keep up with T&L responsibilities, tardy with single comm/single CCA work, then they can forget about being over-deployed with the intention of testing their readiness for promotion.
Actually I agree with you to some extent. But in a small school where everyone is stretched to the max and everyone doing leadership roles... is difficult to tell the potential or rather to promote everyone. I knew of those who are being stretched to do leadership roles and stuff are also taking a long time to promote while some I don't know why are lucky to get promoted and maybe doing lesser than those who are given more responsibilities. And everyone's abilities are about the same.

And no all are not scholars. I've seen a colleague taking 2 years to promote and 1 took 10 years to promote. They are of the same age. Both taking leadership roles. So just wondering how they determine and what is the norm from 3 to 4.