Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Career as Teacher
View Single Post
Old 30-10-2020, 06:15 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Hi all, I'm recently out of NS but havent applied to unis yet. So if I do start uni, itll be a while until I start.

Considered teaching when I was younger but I ended up chasing another type of career in poly. Recently while doing some life planning, I'm realising that teaching seems to be a much more viable option. However I have some concerns.

If I apply for the MOE scholarship, how much allowance can I expect to get? I'm trying not to burden my parents so much and studying for 4 years whilst not getting full time pay (?) does not give me confidence that I can be self reliant.

Also, I have always wanted to get tattoos (full back/chest/basically most places that would not show when you wear clothing). The common impression is that teachers must present themselves well and I am not sure if that would hinder my career/career progression if I do get it.

Many thanks for anyone that helps
When I was a scholarship holder a few years ago, I received an allowance of $1000 a month, together with allowance for hostel and an overseas exchange. There are some optional funds you can apply for for external/non-academic activities.

As for tattoos, i personally know of some colleagues that have tattoos who have good character/professional. If it is hidden, then it's not an issue. I doubt there will ever be a situation where you will need to expose your torso.