Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Career as Teacher
View Single Post
Old 30-10-2020, 08:08 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Hi all, I'm recently out of NS but havent applied to unis yet. So if I do start uni, itll be a while until I start.

Considered teaching when I was younger but I ended up chasing another type of career in poly. Recently while doing some life planning, I'm realising that teaching seems to be a much more viable option. However I have some concerns.

If I apply for the MOE scholarship, how much allowance can I expect to get? I'm trying not to burden my parents so much and studying for 4 years whilst not getting full time pay (?) does not give me confidence that I can be self reliant.

Also, I have always wanted to get tattoos (full back/chest/basically most places that would not show when you wear clothing). The common impression is that teachers must present themselves well and I am not sure if that would hinder my career/career progression if I do get it.

Many thanks for anyone that helps
Allowance is only going to be enough for your personal upkeep. It was about 1k a month in my time, but today a realistic ballpark figure would be around 1.2-1.3k a month. You should be self-sufficient on the allowance since you would not have any other financial burdens related to your studies.

Nobody is going to check underneath your clothing for tattoos. If you have tattoos but they are completely hidden by your clothing, I don't see a problem.