Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Dilemma regarding possible career switch
View Single Post
Old 28-10-2020, 10:49 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostzw View Post
Hi everyone. I am currently facing a dilemma in regards to my long term career goals. So here's a little bit about myself:

I graduated with a Materials Engineering degree from NTU last year, and am currently working in the semiconductor manufacturing industry as a process engineer dealing in electrical testing where i have been working for around 6 months now. Recently, i have realised that this industry is actually not something i am fond of pursuing in the long run, and that's why i have been thinking really hard over this pandemic period about what do i truly want out of my career. So as such, i have actually considered possible career paths based on my interests on what i truly want out of my long-term career goals:

1. Environmental Sustainability/management related field ( am considering pursuing masters from local universities such as NUS Msc in Environmental management which is the closest to this, but seems they require working experience / background in environmental-related fields). Personally, i am actually more inclined towards helping organizations in analyzing, researching and providing consultancy/guidance in improving their sustainability practices( here's a JD example of what i feel i would enjoy doing: [s://eygbl.referrals.selectminds.com/jobs/assurance-assistant-%E2%80%93-climate-change-and-sustainability-services-singapore-2021-graduates-135362[/), but i know such jobs are scarce here in SG.

2. Transition into data analyst / analytics field (I do kind of enjoy performing data analysis in general, its just that i do not enjoy doing it in the electronics manufacturing industry which i am currently in), as i actually enjoy the process of using mathematical concepts such as statistics and probability to analyze data sets and trends. Programming knowledge wise, i do have the foundation on the basic concepts, will just need to upgrade myself on this aspect if i do wish to jump into this field.

Any advice from forumers here will be appreciated, be it personal experience or anything else. Nonetheless, i am planning to at least hold it out through this year minimally through this tough COVID period in my current role so as to gain some working experience first before deciding on my next path.
Another jumping into the data analytics bandwagon, lol all these people.

Like as if you are truly interested. then why did u take up a material engineering degree last time?