Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Lawyer Salary
Thread: Lawyer Salary
View Single Post
Old 23-10-2020, 01:47 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
will trainees normally be paid allowance during part B? because i noticed some firms mention it while others don’t, not sure if it’s usual practice but just omitted on some firms’ website or that some firms simply don’t give allowance during part B?

also, we won’t be reimbursed for our part B fees and have to fork them out ourselves if we are not retained?
Bigger firms generally give an honorarium during your part B ($500 ish only), it isn't that bad if you don't get an honorarium during Part B but it does say something about the firm's size that they do not make such payments. Some firms outrightly mention it, some firms don't bother to do so - you have to use your mouth and ask. But in general, if you're looking at bigger firms, you should have that payment.

Personally, I feel that it is more important to make sure your firm pays at least $1.5k (it's around 2k for the bigger firms like the big4) for TC, as any less means that the firm is really cheapskate.

And yes, if you aren't retained, you have to fork out the Part B and call fees. But honestly, if you aren't retained in the bigger firms, you should just start using the company time to find new jobs etc or at least try to go home on time (i.e. don't slog for the 1-2k TC payment if you aren't retained - they obviously don't value your time anyway). Also, just so it's clear, you should check that you are even reimbursed upon retention, as smaller firms do not even do so, do not assume every firm will reimburse you.

Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills
Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills

SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android

Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app