Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - NCS (SingTel subsidiary)
View Single Post
Old 22-10-2020, 10:22 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
The thing is, fresh grads see their friends get 6-7k at tier 1 companies and think, hey, I'm also valued as much right? Same course, same type of work? Why not I give chance a bit, ask for 5k only? Surely that's undervaluing myself a bit?

When in reality, their friends have good grades, secured multiple swe internships, competitions, got practice interview questions & can perform during interview, then finally get offer in tier 1 companies after 4-5 rounds of interviews. They go through all those hoops, they prove that they can code then of course the tier 1 company offer 6-7k.

On the other hand you have some 2nd lower grad who only have their school projects to showcase apply to some t2/3 company (who apparently pays their seniors peanuts) and ask for 5k of course get ridiculed, and rightfully so.
Every year existing staff annual increment doesn't even go above 5% cap.
But in the same year, fresh grad no experience no proven skills, every year their starting pay increase by 25 to 50%. This industry is a joke.

Why not all the seniors just quit. And rejoin company as fresh. Instant 5k increment. And can use the "I'm fresh" excuse to not deliver.

Othwerise, it doesn't make sense for fresh grad to get paid 5k to barely do nothing while seniors do all the work for 4.2k