Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - 15% pay cut from private sector to teach in Polytechnic
View Single Post
Old 28-07-2011, 11:06 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
hahaha.. i know which poly liao. Only one poly has changed principal after 2002..
it is also the only poly that doesn't offer tenure appointment and staff are all on contract.

but to be fair, this polytechnic in the north has really changed overnight.
from the last ranked polytechnic, it has overtaken its rivals to become number 3 from number 5 in two years.

agree that this "reputable" polytechnic is known for it's high turn-over and 'private sector' culture (part due to the fact that most of it's senior management and most corporate staff come from private sector, or high stress (aka Philip Yeo run) stat boards like EDB, AStar), but the staff are given the option to work from home once a week (you can even find this on their career website) when they have no classes.

I also disagree that polytechnics do not allow each other to poach. I have been a lecturer in 2 polys, and I never had any issue moving over.

this behaviour does not make sense as it undermines the initial concept of privatisation and the creation of stat boards in the 1st place. I have heard the rumour before, and all i can say is that it is just a rumour. If you are good, the other side will take you.

agree, this whole poly to poly checking is a myth. I have known many staff who have moved from SP to TP in the early days, and recently from TP to RP.

more often than not people use it as an excuse when they cannot get the job, but the truth is that moving from one poly to another is very possible, and yes, polytechnics do 'poach' staff. especially the younger ones that can pay better due to more 'enlightened' HRs policies.