Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Is it worth using $100k of your 3 years savings to get a top class masters overseas?
View Single Post
Old 27-07-2011, 11:32 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
just a few comments.
a) for those who are doing well, doing a '2nd tier MBA' may make sense. It enhances what you are currently doing. Since the cost is low, frankly, the ROI is easy to achieve. For a 20k MBA, it takes less than 2k/month increment or 20k bonus to cover the cost of the MBA.
b) for those who are stuck or need to change career, I don't think a 2nd tier MBA helps. Most friends I know find no noticeable change in employers perception after they complete the program. Also, we are talking about singapore market, which is extremely small to begin with. If your plan is to stay in singapore, i wouldn't bother to spend too much money on top tier MBA program since opportunities are limited.
c) the AMP program from Harvard or Wharton, frankly, is has limited market value per se. It is a program to prepare top performers in an organisation for higher management roles as well as recognition for doing a good job. Most of the time, there is a bond associated with it. More of a feather in cap. It is not a career changer, like an MBA. Also, people who do AMP tends to be much older, late 30s, early 40s, and at that age, experience matters more than just the AMP credentials.
to further summarize my points above. Doing a top tier MBA program makes sense only if the some conditions are met:
a) prepared to work abroad.
b) most high paying jobs have long hours or travel a lot, so balanced life style is out during MBA and early years post MBA.
c) luck - as someone has mentioned earlier, which I agree.
d) pick jobs that pay well.
e) interview with big firms but volunteered to be posted to emerging economies. you stand a better chance than US citizens who chose to work and stay in US.
f) opportunity cost are low. meaning you are stuck in your current job/career and you want to switch to something better. If you are doing well, stay put and do an EMBA when you are older.