Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - 15% pay cut from private sector to teach in Polytechnic
View Single Post
Old 26-07-2011, 10:46 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by undiscern View Post
Sorry, you make it sounds like poly lecturers are so noble. No, majority of them are there to slack. Dont believe? Go ask any poly students.

You say all poly compete fiercely for lecturers? I heard there is an unofficial agreement between the polys hr on no poaching of each others lecturer, this is to prevent salary from going up due to job hop.

Your comparison of moe teacher is weak you should compare both of the same age group. Of newly minted degree holder joining moe will earn less than 4k. Moe teachers in their mid 30s would have earn more than 5k to 6k at least.

Poly lecturer is end of career type of job, there will be no more mkt value after a few years(except going to pte sch, but the pay sucks). That explains why the turn over is low.
I totally agree....there are many dead log in the poly....they do minimal, fixed tea break at 10am and 3pm, draw high pay (most at ceiling of PAX 4), not heading any committee, hard to get them work and are waiting to retire....the poly wont fire them as they can still teach...I think they are happy with their 8.2k pay as they have no stress in their job, kids have grown up, wife still working....haha

I am also looking forward to this kind of life.....alot better than outside, where most middle aged are squeezed by younger FT, constant KPI to look out for, bad bonus if you idle and not to mention long hours